Thursday, June 19, 2008

On the Road Observations

Just some things I noticed between West Yellowstone MT and Baker City, OR


  • Fedex, UPS and ABT are all driving long loads out here: three trailers hitched to a cab. I thought it was to save gas, but probably not that much with the extra load. Add together the combined volume of goods delivered, plus the little cost savings in fuel and these companies may be doing all they can to save.

  • Idaho and Montana post 75 mile per hour speed limits-- like boon days for gas. But limits like these are hardly cost-effective. At 7o or over you can literally watch the gas gauge drop.

  • Each state's deer signs are slightly different: some are chubby, some are skinny and I saw one today in Oregon that displayed this: DEER. That pretty much says it.

  • Lexus is transporting some special cars in black, covered trailers? Two big rigs heading my way and two more I spotted heading in the opposite direction at one point. Top secret performance vehicles?

  • McDonald's coffee is better than I expected, but is an excellent example of market value--it goes for nearly the same as any specialty coffeehouse.

No comments: